MISSOULA – University of Montana President Royce Engstrom will kick off his “We are Montana” tour of the state on Monday, Sept. 23. Engstrom and other senior UM leaders will travel to four eastern Montana cities in four days to meet with and listen to legislators, educators, alumni, students and community members.
“We see the boundaries of the University as the entire state of Montana, and I’m excited for the opportunity to better understand what matters to the people and communities of this region,” Engstrom said. “I want to hear what’s on their minds, as well as share the story of our students, faculty and alumni.”
The tour will start in Miles City and continue to Glendive, Sidney and Glasgow. In each town the University will host a community event that is free and open to the public. The community event schedule follows:
- Miles City: 5:30-7 p.m. Monday, Sept. 23, Miles City Town and Country Club
- Glendive: 5-6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 24, Yellowstone River Inn
- Sidney: 5:30-7 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 25, Sidney Country Club
- Glasgow: 5-6:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 26, Cottonwood Inn
The events will offer community members a chance to meet with Engstrom, connect with alumni and friends and learn more about UM. Door prizes and light refreshments will be offered.
UM’s Improving Health Among Rural Montanans, or IPHARM, will be at the Glendive community event. IPHARM is a traveling health-screening program designed to provide wellness checks to rural Montanans who may be unable to access health care. At the same time, UM health professions students gain experience screening and counseling patients. IPHARM students will provide free blood pressure and bone-density screenings for members of the Glendive community.
Other highlights from the UM tour include:
- Visit to Custer High School from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 23;
- Visit to Miles Community College campus from 8 to 8:45 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 24;
- Visit to Dawson Community College campus from 10:30 to 11:15 a.m. Tuesday;
- Visit to Dawson County High School from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday;
- Visit to Sidney High School from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 25;
- Visit to Glasgow High School from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 26.
The eastern Montana stop is the first of the president’s “We are Montana” tour. He is scheduled to visit 13 other cities across Montana through the fall, winter and spring, traveling a total of 3,500 miles.
Note to the media: Members of the media are invited to attend the community events, and interviews with Engstrom may be arranged in advance by calling Kate Stober, communications coordinator, at 406-243-2419 or by emailing email@example.com.
Eastern Montana media: Miles City, Glendive, Sidney, Glasgow, Terry, Billings