UM Offers Free Tax Help For Low, Moderate Earners

January 31, 2014

MISSOULA – People earning $50,000 or less can have their tax returns prepared for free every Saturday through March 8 at the University of Montana.

The returns are completed by UM student volunteers under the direction of Kent Swift, an associate professor in UM’s Department of Accounting and Finance, and Clem Lockman, a practicing Missoula CPA.

The service runs from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Gallagher Business Building Room 209. All community members are welcome. Appointments are not available, and the service is first-come, first-served.

Those using the service should bring:

  • Photo identification.
  • Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration.
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents.
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return.
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers.
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099).
  • Tuition statement(s) (Form 1098-T) and University printout of tuition and scholarship amounts.
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available.
  • Bank-routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit.
  • Total paid to daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number).
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the forms.

Volunteers cannot complete returns with incomplete information, prior-year carryover and certain complications involving schedules C, D, E, F and H.

For more information, call the School of Business Administration at 406-243-4831.







Contact: UM School of Business Administration, 406-243-4831, .