MISSOULA – The University of Montana Office for Civic Engagement honored a dozen UM students for their contributions to the Missoula community at the 2016 Spring Leadership Recognition ceremony on April 19.
The following students were nominated by the local agencies and nonprofits with whom they volunteer:
- Geoffrey Havens, Missoula Community Theatre
- Hannah McDaniel, Habitat for Humanity of Misso ula
- Melissa Unger, Mortar Board National College Senior Honor Society
- Tess Scanlon, Missoula Urban Demonstration Project
- Kevin Moriarty, Poverello Center
- Sarah Williams, Missoula Food Bank
- Chris Olerich, Young Life Missoula
- Sophie Moon, Montana Public Interest Research Group
- Kirstin Smith, International Choral Festival
- Rose O’Reilly-Hoisington, Forward Montana
UM’s OCE named Michael Lawrence, who volunteers with Open Aid Alliance and Leah Mahanti, who volunteers with the Watershed Education Network, as its 2016 Outstanding Student Volunteers. They were selected for their devotion, time and energy spent meeting community needs. The OCE hopes to bolster the spirit of service through honoring these individuals.
The OCE at UM is dedicated to promoting civic engagement in the community by providing students with opportunities to work with local nonprofits, city government and private businesses in addressing issues of public concern.
To learn more about the OCE and student volunteer programs, visit http://www.dhc.umt.edu/oce/default.php.