MISSOULA – Students in the Ecological Restoration Program at the University of Montana will present results of their yearlong field learning experiences from 2 to 6 p.m. Friday, May 6, in the Canyon Room of the DoubleTree Hotel, located at 100 Madison St. in Missoula. The event is free and open to the public.
More than 20 students collaborated with community partners to develop a restoration project and host a volunteer restoration event.
The schedule of presentations is:
- 2-2:10 p.m.: Welcome and Opening Remarks from Alexis Gibson, UM field learning coordinator.
- 2:10-2:25 p.m.: Kelly Creek Invasive Species Monitoring Program. Presenter: Aimee Kelley Dickinson. Sponsor: Beverly Dupree, Great Burn Study Group.
- 2:25-2:40 p.m.: Reproductive Characteristics and Output of Pinus albicaulis (whitebark pine) at Alpine Treelines. Presenter: Jesse Bunker. Sponsor: Cara Nelson, UM College of Forestry and Conservation.
- 2:40-2:55 p.m.: Wallace Creek Watershed Restoration Plan. Presenter: Martin Belden and Troy Lechman. Sponsors: Michelle Hutchins and Travis Ross, Missoula Valley Water Quality District.
- 2:55-3:10 p.m. : Assessing the Effects of Soil Amendments on Revegetation Success. Presenters: Allison Klocke and David Stein. Sponsor: Mike McTee, MPG Ranch.
- 3:10-3:25 p.m.: Treating and Monitoring Invasive Species at Rock Creek. Presenters: Marisa Mancillas and Tiffany Shelton. Sponsors: Jenny Tollefson and Ryan Chapin, Five Valleys Land Trust.
- 3:25-3:40 p.m.: Break
- 3:40-3:50 p.m.: Assessing the Effectiveness of Passive Restoration at Rock Creek. Presenters: David Riley, Dylan Portoghese and Yang Liu. Sponsors: Jenny Tollefson and Ryan Chapin, Five Valleys Land Trust.
- 3:50-4 p.m. : Ecological Assessment of Lolo Beach Conservation Park. Presenters: Gavan Borgias, Nicolas Matallana and Liangheng Lin. Sponsor: Kali Becher, Missoula County Parks and Trails, CAPS.
- 4-4:10 p.m.: Restoring Habitat in the Swan Valley with Ecologically Important Native Species. Presenters: Sean Hasselstrom, Samuel Schnell and Clare Vergobbi. Sponsor: Beau Larkin, MPG Ranch.
- 4:10-4:20 p.m.: Efficacy of Large Woody Debris in Producing Bull Trout Habitat in the Ninemile. Presenters: Maggie Burnham, Nicholl Knapp and Max Rebholz. Sponsor: Paul Parson, Trout Unlimited.
- 4:20-4:35 p.m.: Tracking a New Invader: Mapping Common Buckthorn in Missoula County. Presenters: Mathew Deaton and Jesse Hannifin. Sponsors: Bryce Christiaens and Ashley Juran, Missoula County Weed District.
- 4:40-6 p.m.: Celebration in the Finn and Porter Lounge.