MISSOULA – The Mansfield Center at the University of Montana has announced the lineup for its community lecture series to promote an understanding of Asia, public affairs
Topics of the Spring 2018 Lecture Series include women’s leadership, the current situation on the Korean Peninsula, and U.S.-Japanese relations.
All sessions will be held from noon to 12:50 p.m. The lectures are free and open to the public, and attendees are invited to bring their own lunch. The schedule follows:
- Wednesday, Feb. 14: “Perfecting the Surveillance State: New Developments in Xinjiang, China’s Muslim Borderland,” presented by Eric Schluessel, UM director of East Asian studies and assistant professor of history and political science, in University Center Room 326.
- Wednesday, Feb. 28: “Why Women's Leadership Matters, from Montana to Myanmar,” presented by Jen Euell, program director of the Women’s Foundation of Montana and
alumnaof the U.S. Department of State YSEALI Professional Fellows Program, in University Center Room 332.
- Wednesday, March 14: “The Military Situation in the Korean Peninsula and the Military Partnership between South Korea and the United States,” presented by Korean Language and Culture scholars in the Mansfield Center Defense Critical Language and Culture Program, including Byeong-Keun You, UM associate professor; Owen Sirrs, UM adjunct professor; Jisoo Han, UM adjunct professor; and Sanghyup Lee, UM graduate teaching assistant; in Payne Family Native American Center Room 103.
- Wednesday, April 11: “Beyond Business: Expanding Japan-Montana relations through the KAKEHASHI Project,” presented by returning student participants in the KAKEHASHI Project exchange program, in University Center Room 326.
- Wednesday, April 18: “Scratching the Surface: A Fulbrighter’s Perspective on South Korea,” presented by Mary Nellis, UM international student adviser in the Global Engagement and International Students and Scholars programs, in University Center Room 326.
For more information and extended session descriptions, visit http://www.umt.edu/mansfield/events/lecture-series.php or call 406-243-2988.